Resources for Visual FoxPro Developers
- Explore the Developer Downloads from ITA
- View the Videocasts
- Read the White Papers
- Browse the Links to Other VFP Sites of Interest
- Check out the FoxBlogs tag cloud
- Rick has a blog: rickborup.blogspot.com
|Thanks for visiting. I hope you find something useful here.|
- Visual FoxPro Best Practices for the Next Ten Years by multiple contributors
The complete proceedings of the 2006 Great Lakes Great Database Workshop are now available as an e-book entitled Visual FoxPro Best Practices for the Next Ten Years. Presented by 10 internationally-known experts, individually and on panels, the workshop covered virtually every major aspect of FoxPro development best practices. This 415-page e-book contains all of the conference whitepapers combined into a single PDF file. You also get all 14 slide presentations in their entirety along with all source code for the sessions.
Topics include: Development Environment Setup Error Handling and Reporting Class Design User Interfaces Local and Remote Data Access Refactoring Debugging Reporting Project Management Vertical Application Development Middle-Tier Design Deployment and Professional Developer's Toolkit.
This book is available from Hentzenwerke. ISBN 1-930919-70-0
Do you have the proper language in your contract with your customer? Do you have the proper install package? Do you even know what features your installer needs or how to use one of the many installers? What media is the package going to be shipped on to the client? How will it be distributed? Is the customer even ready? What happens after setup.exe finishes? Do you have the support infrastructure in place? How are you going to handle updates and changes?
"...if you are preparing something for installation at a few hundred or thousand branch offices around the country or the world, this is the only book I know of that provides the kind of help you will need. Besides that, it is very well done." — a reviewer on amazon.com
There's a lot to think about, and deploying a solution requires careful planning. These questions and many more are answered based on real world experience within the pages of this book.
This book is available from Hentzenwerke and on amazon.com. ISBN 1-930919-32-8
- Solving a Network Deployment Challenge using Inno Setup (published 2-May-2012)
- Deploying Multi-User VFP Apps with Inno Setup
- VFP Version Control with Mercurial PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2011)
- Twenty Tools to Make Your Life Easier and More Productive PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2011)
- An Introduction to Ruby and Rails PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2010)
- This paper introduces both the Ruby language and the Rails framework, focusing on their installation and use on a Windows® platform with a perspective geared toward experienced Visual FoxPro® developers. It was written before Rails 3 was released, and is therefore based on Ruby 1.8.7 and Rails 2.3.9. The fundamental concepts still apply to newer versions of Ruby and Rails, but if you are just getting started I recommend you use the current versions of both the language and the framework.
- Design Patterns in Visual FoxPro PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2010)
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2009)
- Quibbles, Quirks, and Quickies PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2009)
- Hidden Treasures: The FoxPro Foundation Classes PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2008)
- Automating QuickBooks with QODBC PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2008)
Errata for Automating QuickBooks with QODBC
- Framework Fundamentals PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2007)
- So You Want to be an Independent Developer PDF (presented at Southwest Fox 2007)
- Automating the Build PDF HTML (presented at Southwest Fox 2006)
- Integrating RSS with Visual FoxPro Applications PDF HTML (presented at Southwest Fox 2005)
- Roll Your Own Windows Installer Setups PDF HTML (presented at Southwest Fox 2005)
- Introducing Inno Setup PDF (originally
published in FoxTalk 2.0, July, 2004)
- Downloads for Introducing Inno Setup
- Inno Setup, Part Two PDF (originally
published in FoxTalk 2.0, October, 2004)
- Downloads for Inno Setup, Part Two
- Understanding Windows Installer PDF HTML (presented at GLGDW 2003)
- Deploying VFP Apps with Inno Setup PDF HTML (presented at GLGDW 2003)
- Integrating PDF Documents into Desktop and Web Applications PDF HTML (presented at GLGDW 2002)
- Importing Transactions into QuickBooks from Visual FoxPro HTML only (published 13-Feb-2001)
- Age Calculator
- Updated 03-Jan-2005 Age Calculator is a Visual FoxPro® class to calculate a person's age in years, months, and days. This release features a complete replacement of the core logic using custom methods to handle the calculation of 'next month' and 'next year' and gives more accurate results when the date range starts on day 29, 30, or 31 and spans several months or years.
- Zip Automation Manager
- Updated 30-May-2003 Zip Automation
Manager is a Visual FoxPro® class that allows you to run WinZip® programmatically.
Using Zip Automation Manager, you can to control WinZip®
from within your VFP application to create ZIP files (archives), add files
to existing ZIP archives, and extract files from ZIP archives. See the
help file to find out what's new in this version.
WinZip is a registered trademark of WinZip Computing, Inc. Visual FoxPro is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corp.
- Updated 30-Jan-2003 rbInputBox() is a simple, general-purpose input box for Visual FoxPro. Unlike the native InputBox() function introduced in VFP 7.0, rbInputBox() can handle character, date, numeric, and currency data types as well as providing other functionality not available in the native InputBox() function. New in this version of rbInputBox() is the ability to set the PasswordChar property of the textbox, which allows you to accept a masked password. Previously released as InputBox() for VFP 6.0, the name was changed to avoid conflicts with VFP's own InputBox() function in VFP 7 and later.
- Enhanced Numeric Textbox Class
- Updated 16-Oct-2000 Use this class
to make numeric data display the way you want it to while it's being
entered. You can choose adding machine style (implied decimal) or calculator
style (explicit decimal). Comes with a sample form and a readme file
with examples. Now works in grids, too.
The latest update enables default behavior for the PgUp and PgDn keys to enhance the functionality of this class when it's used in a grid. Also, the InteractiveChange() method is now called as each digit is entered to better simulate the behavior of the native textbox. See the readme file for complete documentation and release history.
This class is an ongoing enhancement of the original 'txtnumber' class by Jim Booth.
- Ready-to-use Progress Bar
- Updated 19-Jul-2000 A ready-to-use progress bar with a dynamic title and message in a simple, nice-looking form. Distributed as a Visual FoxPro 6.0 class library. The 19-Jul-2000 release is updated to use version 3.0 of commctrl.vcx, which is included in the download archive.
- Tip of the Day!
- New 22-Dec-1999 Display a "Tip of the Day" at startup or from your 'Help' menu. You've seen this feature in other apps, now you can easily add it to your own VFP apps. Distributed as a Visual FoxPro 6.0 class library, works with VFP 5.0 too.
- Get Date from Calendar
- An implementation of the Visual FoxPro ActiveX calendar control. Click a button to bring up the calendar, click a date to put it into a text field. Comes with a demo and an explanation of how to use it.
- DOS Does Fonts!
- Lets you print Windows® style reports from FoxPro for DOS, using your printer's resident fonts. [This is the SetFont( ) function which Rick Borup presented at the 21-May-1997 meeting of the Central Illinois FoxPro Users and Developers Group.]
- More to come... please visit again
Just for fun:
- JumbleTron is a Visual FoxPro® class to jumble a block of text by rearranging the letters in the middle of each word while leaving the first and last letters the same. Check out my blog entry for the idea behind this toy.
- Sites are listed alphabetically. Please report broken links.
- Free, open-source WebRAD tool that combines VFP mtdlls with ASP and ASP.NET to create fast VFP web apps
- AFPWeb Dot Com, Inc.
- Active FoxPro Pages is a tool for creating dynamic Web pages using VFP data
- Chicago FUDG
- Chicago FoxPro Users and Developers Group
- Classy Components, Inc.
- Development tools including InGrid, Mail Manager, QBF Builder, and more
- CoDe Magazine
- Component Developer Magazine
- CompuServe MS Developers Forum
- Message board and downloads for VFP and other MS Dev Tools
- Computer Consulting
- Tips, links, and news
- Dave Frankenbach
- Tips, samples, and utilities
- Not VFP-specific, but a good source of information about application development
- German FoxPro Users Group
- EPS Software
- Markus Egger's site (CoDe Magazine, Visual UML, Voodoo Web Controls, & more)
- F1 Technologies
- Visual Fox Express framework for VFP
- A web services-based site for VFP news and announcements
- Eric den Doop's online support forum for FoxPro
- FoxPro Wiki
- Steven Black's FoxPro Wiki is an outstanding resource for VFP developers.
- FoxPro Advisor
- "Expert advice on Microsoft® Visual FoxPro® Development", from Advisor Media, Inc.
- FoxTalk 2.0
- "Solutions for Microsoft® FoxPro® and Visual FoxPro® Developers", from Pinnacle Publishing
- A development tool for integrating FoxPro and SQL databases with the Web
- FoxPro/VFP resources
- Visual FoxPro Product Listing
- Whil Hentzen's site
- Hentzenwerke Publishing
- The source for books on VFP, Linux, Open Office.org, and more
- James Booth Consulting
- Jim Booth's site - a great teacher and true VFP guru
- Mark McCasland's site
- Some cool tools for VFP, including the CursorAdapter VCX Builder
- Microsoft's Visual FoxPro site
- The official home of Visual FoxPro® on the Web
- Oak Leaf Enterprises
- Mere Mortals framework for VFP
- Pinter Consulting
- Les Pinter's site
- Rick Schummer
- Articles, downloads, and more. (See also White Light Computing, Inc.)
- Seattle Visual FoxPro Special Interest Group
- Resources, links, and downloads for VFP developers.
- Soft Classics, Ltd.
- CodeMine 6.0 framework for VFP, and other products
- Steven Black Consulting
- Steven Black's INTL Toolkit and other resources for Visual FoxPro developers
- Stonefield Systems Group Inc.
- Doug Hennig's company - Stonefield Database Toolkit, Stonefield Query, & more
- TakeNote Technologies
- Jim Duffy's site, home of FoxAudit and VFP courseware
- Software support forums for many development tools, including FoxPro
- Universal Thread
- One of the most active Visual FoxPro peer support forums on the Web
- Virtual FoxPro Users Group (VFUG)
- Downloads, peer support, a monthly newsletter, and more
- Visionpace (formerly Vision Data Solutions)
- Organizers of the DevEssentials conference (Essential Fox, et. al.)
- Visual FoxPro Utilities
- David Prince has a list of VFP links and utilities
- Visual MaxFrame Professional
- Object-oriented framework for Visual FoxPro application development
- Visual ProMatrix
- Application generator and framework for VFP
- West Wind Technologies
- Rick Strahl's site - go here for anything to do with VFP on the web
- White Light Computing, Inc.
- Rick Schummer's company. New home of ViewEditor Pro and HackCX Pro, two "must have" utilities in your VFP toolbox. (See also RickSchummer.com.)
- Data modeling and database design tool for VFP
Microsoft, Windows, and Visual FoxPro are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.